Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Ethan started 2nd grade this week!  It is very bittersweet for me.  I love watching him grow and learn new things (he loves to learn!) but at the same time, it feels like just yesterday he was a tiny baby.  Where does the time go?

He was excited for his first day.  I was able to take him to school, but I had to work and I couldn't pick him up, so I was a little sad about that.  When I called to talk to him after the day was done, he seemed very tired.  His voice was monotone and he was just giving me one word answers to my questions.  This worried me, because I thought he'd have a lot more to say.  When I got home that night, we talked some more and it turns out that his teacher took away his erasers because they were in the shape of a car and it was too "toy-like".  I totally understand this, but it made him sad and I'm sure he was a little embarrassed, considering he was so excited to use his new school supplies. 

Also, as I was reading through the information his teacher sent home, I realized this year was going to be quite different from last year.  He's officially NOT a "baby" anymore, and things are going to be more challenging.  Less play time, more work.  His work will actually be graded now (no more stickers and smiley faces!) and he has to do weekly book reports.  Just reading it made me feel overwhelmed so I can only imagine how he felt hearing all this within a couple hours then being sent home.  That, and the fact that his two best friends are not in his class, he was just feeling stressed.  We talked about it a lot last night, though, and by bedtime, he seemed a lot more at ease.  Jay and I are very involved in his school life, so we will be right there with him throughout everything.  We take school very seriously, and we hope he does, too.

Today was his second day of school.  It was a full day and when I picked him up and asked how his day was, he said "It was great!"  He was happy and had lots to say.  I know this year is going to be great.  He has been blessed with wonderful teachers from preschool until now, so we know we are very, very lucky.

That is his nervous face.  And that is Allison's binky face (and yes, I realize the binky has got. to. go.  That'll be for another day, though!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems to me the teacher could have taken him aside and told he had to leave the erasers at home. He is such a smart boy, I bet he can't wait to do book reports.