Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Want to hear something really amazing? Leslie has been at Henry Ford Main for 23 days and has not been alone at all, with the exception of the very first night. Leslie is SO loved, and SO cared for, that people are always with her. I am so proud to be her sister.

She continues to do well. Her memory comes and goes. Lately, it seems to be coming more than going, though, which is awesome. She was supposed to have surgery for the defibrillator a few days ago, but then the cardiologists decided they wanted to do the MRI of her heart first ('bout time!) and the type of contrast they use for a heart MRI is something they don't have, so they had to wait a couple of days for it to come in. Tomorrow will definitely be the MRI, and there is a good chance they will also do surgery later in the day. If they don't do the defibrillator tomorrow, it will definitely be Friday.

My family is doing well. Tired, but strong. We have had so much support, it's incredible. I used to have such a hard time being optimistic about Leslie's future. Everything was so scary and uncertain. Don't get me wrong, things are still scary, and I still can't believe any of this ever happened, but someone said something to me that has really stuck with me. If God was going to take Leslie, He would have on September 20. Her chances of surviving the initial event were so slim. She was about 1 hour away from being alone that day, and had she been alone, she would be gone. Time was also on her side. EVERYONE responded so fast. It is a miracle, plain and simple, and I dare anyone to argue that.

I don't know why this happened. I struggle, because she is such a good person. She is smart, successful, kind, and incredibly giving. She loves her family and friends, and would do anything for any of us. Why her? Of all people. She was born with cerebral palsy, and I always thought THAT was unfair. Why give her more trouble? I don't think I will ever understand that, but I can say that my faith has grown so incredibly strong these past few weeks. I hate to think that she had to make sacrifices so other people could learn a lesson (like my faith growing) and I don't know if I will ever feel comfortable thinking that way, but I do think there was a reason this happened.

I love you, Les. I am so amazed by you.

No comments: