Friday, October 22, 2010

Leslie was discharged!!

She is now at the Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan located in the DMC in Detroit. It is considered a state of the art rehab facility for patients with brain injuries. We were worried that she wouldn't get accepted, or that the application process would take a long time, but she got in just fine.

As of right now, the plan is to keep her there for about 3 weeks, but depending on how she does, it could be sooner. She is actually doing VERY well right now. She is still forgetful and stumbles over a lot of words, but at times, her memory is spot on.

While I was visiting her today, she needed to use the bathroom, so an assistant and I got her in there. When I was standing with her at the sink as she was washing her hands, she took a look at herself in the mirror and said, "Woah!" This was one of the first times she has looked at herself in the mirror. Back before this, she had long, straight hair that was down to almost the middle of her back. Now her hair is SUPER short, and I think it surprised her! It was really cute.

Her strength is good, but she is still a little weak. The plan for her while she is in rehab is to help her get her strength back, along with helping her remember how to do basic activities of daily living... showering, brushing teeth, climbing stairs, etc. Once she is home, she will likely have a home care nurse come out to see her, along with her lovely nurse sister who will take excellent care of her (hehe!) I am home 3 days during the week, and my mom is home 1 day a week, so she won't be left alone for quite a while.

Anyhow, she is doing fabulous. I have nothing but complete faith that she will be back to her normal self in due time. I don't know when she'll be back in the classroom, but I know she loved teaching with all her heart, and she will get back there soon enough. Thank you so much for all of the support and love. I will continue to update on her progress!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great news all around! I can't wait to hear the progress reports from the rehab center. Good luck to all of you! - - Jackie