Monday, February 9, 2009

So my IV skills went down the drain roughly 3 or so months ago. Seriously, I couldn't start one if my life depended on it.

So today I get a direct admit. Meaning the person didn't come in through the ER. They went in to see their primary doctor and the doctor sent them straight to the hospital, past the ER, and into one of my rooms. I hate directs. You basically have to start from scratch. And tonight was CRAZY and I just didn't have time for all the work involved.

That's another story...back to the IV. So he needed one. I had already decided I was going to ask this other nurse I work with who I always say is so good at starting IVs, she could do it with her eyes closed. Unfortunately, she was super busy, too. So I decide I'll try. I gather my supplies and I get myself settled next to his bed. As soon as I start to look, he tells me he only has ONE good vein. One. So he points it out but warns "it rolls a lot". Sure enough, I kid you not, as soon as I put my finger on this teeny tiny vein, it rolled straight into his other arm. I'm not even being dramatic. I decided I better at least TRY, even if it meant blowing his only decent vein. As I am preparing myself to start, he tells me he has been a paramedic for 30 years and the last time he was in the hospital, the nurse couldn't start an IV so she left to find someone else to try and while she was gone, he started his OWN IV. I looked at him and my eyes were gigantic as he tells me this. I can feel beads of sweat on my brow. Seriously? Why did I pick HIM to try? Why didn't I pick my super confused little old guy down the hall? Well now I HAD to try. I'd look like a big chicken (and I am) if I left then.

So to make an already long, dramatic story short...I was able to start the IV and I walked on cloud 9 the rest of the night.

The end.

No comments: