Sunday, January 22, 2012

So, I try to be a giving person.  I try to not judge and have an open mind.  I've said it before and I will say it again: this isn't something that necessarily comes easy to me, so I try to break out of that shell.

Let me share a story.

Saturday I was shopping at Target.  As I was walking out, a gentlemen, who was decently dressed, middle aged, was standing there.  I thought nothing of this.  He approached me and said, "Ma'am?  Do you have 40 cents to spare?  I just need 40 cents so I have enough for the bus fare to get home."

I didn't even hesitate.  I first made it clear, that I did not have any cash, only change.  He said that was fine, as he only needed change.  I ended up giving him $1.50 in quarters.  He thanked me so much, and told me that when he asked a different person, the person yelled at him. 

When I left this man, I felt like a million bucks.  I felt so good helping him.  It was such a small gesture, but he seemed so appreciative.

Fast forward to Sunday.

I'm out shopping at an entirely different shopping center with my mom.  As we are walking out, THERE HE IS.  Again, same story, and asking for 40 cents.

What. The. Heck.

Part of me wants to say, eh, he clearly needs money, I didn't give him much, and thank God I don't have to stand outside of stores and beg for change.

The REAL me thinks "YOU SCAMMER!  GET A JOB AND STOP HARASSING PEOPLE!"

Back in my shell I go!

No comments: