Saturday, November 20, 2010

Last Friday, my mom, sister, and I went back to "the scene." Well, not the EXACT scene, but close enough. As we drove down the long driveway in, my mind kept saying "this is the road that the ambulance drove in on, and out on, with my sister in there. As we passed by her room, I remember thinking "that's probably the chair she went unconscious in.

My God. It was real. It's so hard to imagine until you really see it. The day it happened, September 20, is like a haze. It was my absolute worst nightmare. I know I've said it before, but I wouldn't wish moments like that on ANYONE. When I start to think of that day, I will physically shake my head as if to shake those thoughts right out. I can't go there. I never want to go there again.

As my sister, Allison, and I got a little mini-tour with Rachel (who is just so sweet!) my mom stayed behind to talk to the principal. About things like the nice weather, the holidays, and oh, maybe how he played a HUGE ROLE in saving her daughter's life! How do you thank someone for doing something so amazing? For doing one small thing, he helped get Leslie where she is right now, which is home with her family.

To hear the details just literally rips my heart out. It is too disturbing for me to hear, and I just can't imagine what her coworkers and friends were thinking. To you people that played a roll, whether it be call for help, get her students out of the classroom and try to keep the calm, to try to keep YOURSELVES calm...you are hero's.

I still don't understand why this happened and I don't think I ever will. I don't plan on dwelling on it, either. I plan on dwelling on what I do know. That Leslie was in the very "best" place for this to happen. That the fast response of EMT got her heart beating again. The defibrillator picked up where the EMT workers left off, and it will continue to keep her heart in line, so to speak,and so far, so good.

My heart is so full to gratitude to all of you who have so eagerly given already. We love you!

No comments: