Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Just so I'm not being super vague about the "issues" we are having, I figured I would dedicate a post entirely to that.

It's regarding Ethan. He is very smart and sweet. He has a heart of gold and is always eager to please people. He is very cuddly and loving. He's just super fun to be around and is constantly making us laugh.

However, ever since he was a baby, he has been very stubborn and somewhat strong-willed. He gets the stubborn side from both his father and I. Double whammy. He gets really upset about things that most kids would just shrug off. He doesn't forget easily. For instance, when he was about 2, we were at a birthday party. He kept wanting to play in the cooler that was holding all the drinks. He liked the ice. When I told him no and tried to distract him with something else, he got very upset and threw a huge temper tantrum. I realize that this is normal for a kid to throw a tantrum, especially at that age, but he wouldn't stop. We ended up having to leave the party because he was so upset.

He's 6 now. He does VERY well in school. He loves to learn and has an amazing attention span. He is also extremely creative. He loves designing things and building things. It's very impressive. Yet he still has issues with coping. He is very sensitve to unpredictability. If things come up that aren't planned, he pretty much shuts down. When he gets upset about something, he is very dramatic and sometimes extreme. If he falls or trips, it's pretty much guaranteed that he will cry. He is a lot worse for me than he is his dad, which makes it hard since it's mostly just me at home with both kids since Jay works 5-6 days per week. Yesterday he was great for me all morning. Then something set him off, I have no idea what, and he got very mouthy with me. I have learned that ignoring the mouthiness does nothing, so I sent him to his room. This made him even more mad and he ended up pushing his TV off the stand. I was so surprised. He still was never able to tell me what upset him in the first place.

I'm not sure what to do about it. I tried addressing these concerns with his current pediatrician, but they were so rushy with me, we never got to it. I am in the process of finding another one. We will get through this and I'm not taking it lightly, because I don't want him to struggle. I just feel like I am failing him as his mother because I don't know what to do for him. We are very open right now with our feelings.

So that's what's going on.

No comments: