Thursday, September 3, 2009

So! Things are going really well. Here is Allison's birth story:

I had a scheduled induction for a few reasons. I was scheduled to go in at 9 AM. We showed up kinda early and I was hooked up to the pitocin by 10 AM.

Things moved slow. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the contractions weren't bad. They were somewhat regular, but not painful.

After a couple hours, I was checked and I was 3 cm and 75% effaced. Again, we were hoping things would move quicker. Fortunately, my OB was in and told me at 2 she wanted to break my water to get the contractions stronger and more regular.

At around 1:30, I made the decision to get an epidural. Things had been so easy up to that point, I just didn't want to start to feel uncomfortable if I didn't have to. Jay and I had had a very quiet morning all that time, just chatting and watching TV, I wanted to keep things that way as long as possible.

No lie, the epidural was no fun. I was really scared. He had to poke me twice. About a half hour after the epidural was placed, two residents came in to break my water. I had started to feel really funny at this point. I felt really weak and it was like my vision was in slow motion. I assumed the epidural was supposed to make me feel like that, so I didn't say anything at first. When the doctors went to lower my bed to break my water, I asked if that feeling was normal. The nurse said no, and checked my blood pressure. It was 60/30. I panicked. It was super scary. She immediately got anesthesia back in the room, along with 2 other doctors. They were pushing IV fluids into me SO fast. Fortunately, with me being upset and all the fluids I received, my blood pressure came back up and stayed. It was a very scary moment.

After my water was broke, the contractions became regular, but very very weak. I was starting to think it was never going to work! At around 5, I told Jay to go to my parents house to get some dinner. They live right across the street. My best friend, Kristen, was there visiting me, and she said she'd stay until he got back.

As Kristen and I were chatting, I started to feel a little uncomfortable. I texted Jay and told him the contractions were starting to hurt so he should head back. Thankfully, he came RIGHT back. As soon as he got there, I told him he needed to get the nurse because I was feeling a ton of pressure. The nurse and my OB came in and I was complete!

I had already arranged for my sister to be in the delivery room, but I didn't think I was allowed another person in there. Because of the crazy fast circumstances, Kristen also stayed, and it was awesome. It could not have been more perfect.

I pushed for about 15 minutes. Hearing my doctor say "It's a girl!" was the most incredible thing. Jay was in heaven. He wanted a little girl so bad.

Allison Jaye was born at 6:49 PM. She is just beautiful and we are so in love with her. Ethan is an extremely proud big brother and has been just wonderful with her. He is also a huge help for me.

As for me, I am feeling okay. With Ethan, I was so overwhelmed. This time around, I am feeling very calm and I am enjoying everything so much. I could stare at her for forever. I keep saying to Jay "I can't believe we have a girl!" She is just a dream come true.

Right now Jay and I feel so complete. There is no question Ethan has always been my world, and now that I have my little girl, our family just feels so...right.

No comments: