Sunday, July 19, 2009

... on July 20, 2004 at 10:44 AM, a beautiful 5 pound 12 ounce baby boy entered our lives. He came out absolutely perfect. My first words were "he's so tiny!" followed by "look at all his hair!" Jay had tears in his eyes and our excitement was overwhelming. Despite being early, he was perfectly fine. The doctors took some extra precautions with him, which meant he spent all of his hospital time in the special care nursery, he had 24 hours worth of oxygen and IV antibiotics, but overall he was perfect.

Today we celebrated his birthday the entire day. He said it was the best birthday ever, which is what we intended for it it to be. On the way home from his birthday dinner, he was on the phone with his cousin when he said "I'm five today!" At the same time, Jay and I both commented on how weird it was to hear him say that. For me, just the fact that he is already 5 just boggles my mind. For Jay, it was odd to hear him say "I'm five" when it seems like just yesterday we were taking his fingers, holding up two of them, and saying "you are THIS many today!" and hoping that when someone would ask him how old he was, he'd hold up the two fingers on his own.

He has grown so much and every second spent with him is such a blessing. The good and the bad, he has given us so many amazing memories, I can't imagine not having him in my life. I absolutely adore that child. Everything I do, I do for him, and I hope he always knows that.

I love you, Ethan! And yes, even when you are 200 years old and bigger than me, you will STILL be my baby.

No comments: