Monday, January 17, 2011

So today marks day one of wearing a heart monitor. Day one of THIRTY! I was getting annoyed with the 24 hour Holter monitor by hour number 20, so you can only imagine how hateful I'll be at the end of these 30 days.

I also have my cardiac MRI scheduled for the 25th. I have never had an MRI before, but I'm not real worried. I know it's not going to be pleasant, and small spaces don't exactly thrill me, but it'll be fine. I'm more concerned with getting up and out the door for my 8 AM appointment.

I also got a phone call from a different cardiologist from Henry Ford Main who asked if I'd be willing to participate in a cardiac imaging study. Of COURSE I would! They are doing this study to try to find something to replace cardiac MRI's, so it'll be a 3-D ultrasound of my heart. I do this immediately after my MRI.

Last week I started taking the Lopressor Succinate and the Lisinopril. I am so relieved that I really don't feel any side effects, especially since these drugs are commonly given for hypertension (high blood pressure) and my blood pressure is usually normal to low (like 110/70). At one point while I was working, I took my blood pressure and heart rate, just out of curiosity (Lopressor will lower both blood pressure and heart rate) and both of mine were quite low, but I felt fine.

In other news, Leslie is doing quite well. I think her memory is doing a LOT better. She doesn't repeat questions nearly as much as she used to. Right now her biggest issue is her total lack of motivation. It's not even that she has a LACK of motivation. She has NO motivation. She frequently will tell me, "I never get bored." She has started seeing a neuro-psychologist to try to help with this, but it sounds like it is just one of those things that we just have to keep pushing her on. I think it totally works against her that it is the dead of winter and bitter cold. Someone without an anoxic brain injury has no motivation, so it's super hard to do things with her. I am hoping, just as she has consistently shown progress in every area, that she will start to show progress in this area, too, in due time.

No comments: